Mountain Residencies At The Banff Centre
Creative Scotland and The Banff Centre invite applications for up to four Creative Futures residencies at The Banff Centre, Alberta, Canada, for five weeks from c.1 November to 7 December 2013. The residencies will be supported by The Banff Centre to explore mountain culture and environmental themes, and have been scheduled to coincide with a number of existing relevant programmes.
Artists of any discipline are eligible to apply, including visual and performing arts, music, photography, film, new media and writing. Fees, travel costs and a stipend are included in the award. Applications must be submitted by 27 August 2013.
THE BANFF CENTRE
The Banff Centre is the world’s largest arts and creativity incubator, located within a UNESCO world heritage site, in Canada’s first national park. Over 8,000 artists, leaders and researchers from across Canada and around the world participate in programs at The Banff Centre each year. Through its multidisciplinary programming, The Banff Centre provides them with the support they need to create, to develop solutions, and to make the impossible possible.
The Banff Centre adds to Canada’s and the world’s cultural repertoire by commissioning, supporting, and producing new creative works in all disciplines. Arts programs are at the core of The Banff Centre, supporting the commissioning and creation of new work by individual artists and arts collectives, and providing resources for collaboration and applied research. Training and professional development is offered at the postgraduate level in more than a dozen art forms including, music, theatre, dance, opera, indigenous arts, literature, ceramics, print-making, painting, papermaking, photography, sculpture, audio engineering, digital film and video, and new media. Work is showcased in public performance, events, and exhibitions throughout the year, culminating in the annual Banff Summer Arts Festival; and is disseminated beyond Banff through Banff Centre LIVE. The Centre also partners with national and international arts institutions to bring art incubated in Banff to stages and concert halls around the world.
The Creative Scotland residencies are for up to four artists in any discipline (including but not limited to visual and performing arts, music, photography, film, new media and writing) who wish to explore any aspect of Banff’s unique environment, its environmental history and culture; and who wish to use the opportunity to advance their practice and career. Applicants can be of any age and at any career stage, but must demonstrate exceptional talent, and a strongly focused interest in the mountain and environmental themes provided by this opportunity. The residencies will take place during November and early December 2013 (c.1 Nov – 7 Dec), in order to coincide with the Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival and the Mountain Adventure Writing Program (these are not mandatory elements of the programme). Participants will also have the opportunity to meet with local historians and research within the extensive archives of the Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies, and to collaborate and create with other artists on campus.
The four artists will be resident for the period in the Leighton Artists’ Colony studios, which are located in a secluded, wooded area on The Banff Centre’s 43-acre campus, providing an ideal space for creativity and intense productivity. These independent residencies offer artists the ability to work independently, as well as to engage within the larger artistic community of The Banff Centre. The successful artists will thus also be able to work collaboratively should they wish.
Each residency will provide:
• Board & accommodation in a residential artist’s studio
• All travel expenses
• All Banff Centre fees
• Advice, support, expertise and access to sites, curated by the Banff Centre, appropriate to the resident and the project
• A stipend of c.£1,200 (exchange rate dependent) for the 5-week residency
TERMS & CONDITIONS
• Applicants must be resident in Scotland.
• Resident must take out medical insurance for the duration of their tenure. The Banff Centre offers medical insurance as required.
• Resident must submit a report on completion, and examples of work completed in Banff.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit:
• A CV (2 pages max, including nationality, referees & all contact details)
• A statement of your interest in Banff and the environmental and mountain themes offered by the residency; and the direction you hope to take in exploring these themes.
• An account of the contribution you hope the residency will make to your career (1 page max).
• Examples of your previous work (e.g. up to 20 photos max, up to 30 minutes of film max, 6 pages of creative writing max; please submit in digital format on USB/DVD, 3 copies, with brief account of context etc; link/s to relevant websites where appropriate).
249 West George Street
Glasgow, G2 4QE
To arrive no later than 5pm Tuesday 27 August 2013
For any enquiries, please contact: email@example.com
Final selection of successful applicants will be made by the Banff Centre’s creative directors, depending on candidates’ chosen artforms and interests.
We hope to notify candidates by 14 September 2013.